Sunday, February 5, 2012

What keeps me from being ignorant.


The sources that I use for gathering my news and information have changed in the past years.  At one point, before I could drive, I was forced to listen to National Public Radio everyday on the way to school.  I retained a lot of information about the news and politics from those drives.  After getting my license I often chose not to listen to the news however and rather listened to music.  Without the radio as a source for news, I made the New York Times my home page.  The choice to do so was partly to impress teachers at my small high school.  The NYT is still my home page and what I think an excellent source of news.  When I’m looking for other headlines, I often look to AOL and click through their top news stories.  These sources give me an idea about what is going on.  Unless a story is interesting enough, I often don’t get past the headlines.  As for TV, there are really only two shows that I will watch for news.  The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are those two.  Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert have figured out a way to balance satire with the news in a comedic way.  It’s interesting to hear their opinions come out subtly in the news stories.  Stewart, in my opinion, is funnier and also contributes more news to his thirty-minute section.  They offer news reports that are most relevant to the nation as a whole.  I rarely watch local news because it tends to include only violent robberies and other reports only relevant locally.  Of course I also hear about the news from friends, family, teachers and other random sources.  These all culminate to make me a less ignorant person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment