Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My opinion on the Times

I've been quite used to reading the New York Times for a while now.  As I described in earlier posts, though I took a break from it last quarter, I did read it throughout most of high school.  The NYT is one of the most respected and influential news sources in the world, if not the most.  Even facing a society drifting away from print news sources, the NYT found a way to survive.  It revamped its business plan, putting all of its news online and beginning to cap the articles that you can read.  To access more than the headlines and a few articles, you now have to pay the subscription fee.
The stories that I remember reading most were ones about the current political environment and the republican primaries.  These seemed the most important to the days events.  Most of my reading went off of the home page, without venturing to the different sections of the world news.  In doing this I'm sure I missed interesting stories that for whatever reason didn't make the headlines.
What the New York Times does that I love is in articles it links to opinion pages and other interesting stories.  After skimming an article I can read related articles.  This leads me to read the different perspectives on an event as well as background information that I otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment